Understanding Slider Crime | Mace® Brand
Everything You Need to Know About “Slider Crime,” Including How to Protect Yourself.
Slider crime is a growing threat to be aware of, where a thief quickly sneaks into an unlocked car to steal valuables or the vehicle itself. The prevalence of slider crime is on the rise, and everyone needs to be informed and vigilant.
Here’s the good news: The team at Mace® Brand is ready to bring you up to speed on this concerning trend. We'll give you more insight into slider crime, where it typically occurs, and most importantly, how to stay safe.
What is slider crime?
Slider crime is a term used to describe a specific type of theft, where criminals, commonly known as "sliders," seize the opportunity to quickly slide into your vehicle. The slider may try to slip into the driver's seat and drive away while the owner is preoccupied with refueling or making a purchase inside a convenience store. Even bolder criminals may try to enter your car while you’re sitting in a parking lot.
These incidents happen in seconds, leaving victims shocked and powerless as their cars are stolen or fighting for their lives when a stranger enters their vehicle, as seen in this recent ABC News clip.
Where does this crime happen?
Slider crime can occur anywhere, but it is most common where people leave their cars running unattended—like a gas station—or any area where you may park your car. Slider crimes have been reported in other settings, such as daycare centers, ATM locations, parking lots, and even residential driveways.
Criminals are opportunistic and will strike wherever they see an easy target. It's crucial to stay alert and cautious in situations where you might be tempted to leave your car running unattended or even if you’re just sitting in your car enjoying your morning coffee.
How can I stay safe?
Avoiding slider crime requires awareness, precaution, and responsible behavior. Here are some practical tips to help you avoid becoming a victim:
- Lock your vehicle: The simplest and most effective step you can take is to lock your car doors at all times, whether your car is running, parked, or you’re sitting inside your vehicle in a parking lot.
- Never leave your car running unattended: Regardless of how briefly you plan to be away from your vehicle, turn off the engine and take your keys with you.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Practice situational awareness and pay attention to what’s happening around you, especially at a gas station or convenience store.
- Install security measures: Consider installing security devices, such as car alarms or GPS tracking systems, to deter theft and assist in recovery if your vehicle is stolen.
- Report suspicious activity: If you witness any suspicious behavior, don't hesitate to call the authorities. Reporting can help prevent potential crimes.
- Carry personal safety devices: Having pepper sprays or gel or a stun gun gives you a fighting chance against criminals. Mace® Brand’s Magnum 3 Pepper Gel can help you defend against threats at a distance of up to 18 feet away, whereas a stun gun is a great choice for up-close, in-vehicle protection.
Slider crime is a concerning trend that can impact anyone, but with awareness and proactive measures, you can significantly reduce your risks. Always prioritize your safety and the safety of your property, even in situations where convenience may tempt you to let your guard down. By staying informed and taking precautions, you can help protect yourself and your vehicle.