Pepper spray comes in a variety of sizes, colors and formulas. You might be wondering how to choose the right one. Before you start shopping, ask yourself these four questions to select the pepper spray that’s best for you.
1. When do you need pepper spray?
Think through your daily activities from morning to night. When do you feel concerned about potential threats? Consider these common situations and pepper spray options:
- Work: When you’re walking to and from your car in a parking lot or poorly lit area, get a pepper spray that easily attaches to your keychain.
- Exercise: When you’re out on a run or walk with your dog, you may want a sport pepper spray or dog repellent spray that attaches to your hand for easy access.
- Outdoor adventures: When you step into the woods, you’re surrounded by wildlife. Bring a bear spray with a powerful formula and long-range protection.
- Every day: When you just want to feel safer at home or during your trip to the grocery store, consider one of our best sellers to give you a boost of confidence.
2. How do you want to carry it?
If you like the idea of carrying pepper spray on your keys, get one with a keychain. When you want to be more discreet, a personal or pocket-size model is small enough to slip into your clothing, backpack or purse.
Mace® Brand pepper sprays also come in a variety of colors. If you want to ward off threats from a distance, select a brightly colored spray like Hot Pink Personal Pepper Spray or KUROS Pepper Spray with UV Dye.
3. Does spray range or number of bursts matter?
Depending on the canister size and model, pepper sprays typically cover a distance between 5 to 35 feet and offer anywhere between 6 to 20 bursts. If you prefer to get more use and distance out of our spray, consider purchasing a standard personal size, compared to a mini or pocket model.
And remember, once you’ve used the pepper spray, it’s smart to get a refill canister or buy a new one.
4. Do you know how to use it?
If you’re new to pepper spray and could use some practice, get a water trainer spray with your purchase. The more you practice, the more prepared and confident you’ll feel if you need to use the real thing.
Here’s a quick tutorial on how to use your pepper spray: Simply place your thumb under the flip-top safety cap and press down on the actuator button. Aim straight or make a sweeping motion to spray your threat’s eyes or face.
Some additional questions you might need to ask yourself include:
- Are there any restrictions on pepper spray in your state?
- If you plan to travel with it, what are the travel restrictions?
- Are you buying pepper spray as a gift for someone else? Consider their lifestyle and activities.
We know there are many options, but you’ve come to the right place. Mace® Brand is the original and trusted brand of pepper spray. When you have Mace® Brand on hand, you walk through the world with more confidence. Check out our pepper spray products and select the style that’s right for you.